Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Songs for Mother's Day

I couldn't find a top 10 list for Mother's Day, but I did find this on About.com:

Radio stations, programmers, and deejays have used The Green Book of Songs By Subject for years.

Each week, The Green Book of Songs By Subject provides a new list of songs for a particular topic exclusively to the Radio site at About.com.

This week:
Mother's Day

Song/Artist
Song For Mama/Boyz II Men
That Was Your Mother/Paul Simon
You Can't Lose Me/Faith Hill
Mama Tried/Merle Haggard
Mama Told Me Not To Come/Three Dog Night
26 Cents/Wilkinsons
The song that always makes me think of my mom is The Carpenters', "Close To You," because she used to sing it to my sister and I when we were little.

Songs that are in my head right now:
Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys
Take Your Mama, Scissor Sisters
And my favorite, Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen, just because the opening line begins with, "Mama..."
Here is a live version I dug up on YouTube:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Johnson said...

Yes, it came to my attention that there are very few songs about mothers written in music. As a singer/songwriter I composed a song for my mother entitled, "With Every Kiss (For Frances)" . Every time I performed it I had a bunch of people come up to me and ask where they could get it because it was so touching and something that made them think about their mother. So I had it available for download on vocalvisions.net but unfortunately a couple of weeks before Mother's day there was a bug to the program and there was no way for anyone to purchase the song. We were also going to donate a portion to MAAD (Mother's Against Drunk Driving). Hopefully all will be well soon and people who want a song written specifically for mothers can find one there.
We are also doing a compilation for next mothers day so check us out then.


ellenjohnson.net

5/23/2007 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home