Thursday, January 18, 2007

La Buona Tavola/The art of cooking

Next time you have guests over, serve this salad as a side dish.

Insalata di arance, barbabietole rosse e parmigiano reggiano
Orange, beet and parmigiano Reggiano salad

Ingredients:

I pound beets cooked and sliced,
3 oranges peeled and sliced,
1/3 cup walnuts
3 tablespoons orange juice,
1 teaspoon lemon juice,
3 tablespoons walnut or olive oil,
¼ teaspoon of salt

Esequzione/preparation

Pat beets dry. Arrange beets and orange slices in an attractive, overlapping pattern on a large serving platter or on individual plates. Toast the walnuts in a preheated 350 F oven until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Chop finely and sprinkle over the beets and oranges. Whisk orange juice, lemon juice and salt together in a small bowl. Add oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly. Pour dressing over the salad.
Make ½ cup of thin slivers of Parmigiano Reggiano with a vegetable peeler. Scatter over the salad. Season with freshly ground pepper and serve immediately.
Buon appetito

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how to cook beets! Do you peel them before you cook them? How long do you cook them (and, I'm assuming you boil them). This recipe looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it (once I get some beet education!).

1/23/2007 6:41 AM  
Blogger Ross Falvo said...

Hi There, I'm sorry if I'm responding to you so late.
Yes, you need to boil the beets between 30 minutes to one hour, depend how big the beets are,. The best way to check if they are cooked, is to put a fork or a knife inside, if they are soft, they are done. Let them cool down and peel them
Let me know how it goes.
Ciao
Rosario

1/24/2007 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! I will make this tomorrow for friends and let you know how it goes.

1/26/2007 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious! I made this last night, but, of course, didn't follow the directions properly. I segmented the oranges before I finished reading the recipe! So, I chopped them and the beets and served over a bed of organic baby lettuces. AND, since I didn't have any Parmigiano Reggiano I had to use crumbled Gorgonzola. Everyone loved it - the dressing is superb. Thanks for sharing such a delightful recipe.

1/28/2007 9:50 AM  
Blogger Ross Falvo said...

My pleaseure

2/01/2007 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home