Sunday, November 26, 2006

Staying Fit in Ojai

We are lucky to live in a place that encourages fitness of both the mind and the body. It seems like everyone I know takes advantage of one or more of the many ways to get fit or stay fit in Ojai. It's a topic that continues to creep into discussion on Radio Ojai.

Whether it's a hike on one of our trails, a morning jog around the Nordhoff track, pumping iron at one of the local gyms, biking down the Ojai Trail, practicing yoga or Pilates, swinging a club at Soule Park or the Ojai Valley Inn, or swinging a racquet at the Libbey tennis courts, there are countless ways to get the blood pumping and find that target heart rate. And with the abundance of fresh produce, whole and organic foods to be found at the local independent markets and the Sunday Farmers Market, keeping the diet healthy and balanced is a cinch. Equally important, many will argue, is feeding the mind and nurturing the soul with one of our valley's many healers, either through massage, meditation or any number of activities to promote self-care.

What are your fitness goals and how do you achieve them?

I'll start! I make a conscious effort to eat well, to improve strength and to enhance cardio-vascular conditioning. I do this by getting on the treadmill a couple times a week, going to Pilates at Tara Jeffery's studio twice a week and taking a very long walk on the Ojai Trail on Sundays. I make healthy choices at Starr or Rainbow Bridge and avoid "fast food." I also try to incorporate brain exercises, like Sudoku, each day.

Now it's your turn!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy playing racquetball and do some exercise at home (Tae-Bo videos) every day except Sunday.

I was recently sick and unable to exercise for a couple of days and I really missed it!

11/29/2006 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update: I'm up to 7.6 miles in my quest to do 13.2 by mid-January! Ankles are a bit sore this morning and the break room at my work is full of sugary fatty goodness that doesn't really go too well with my lemon-lime endurance beverage, but I can always walk it off!

12/04/2006 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home