Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What's on Your iPod?

If you blinked, you missed the snow on the Topa Topas on Sunday morning. I, on the other hand, had it in my sights for a good hour while on the first half of my weekly training walk. I’ve been at this since September, when my husband, one of those crazies who runs for fun, challenged me to join him for the Phoenix Rock-n-Roll next month. He will run the half marathon for the third year in a row. I will walk it. So that I don’t end up in the medic tent on mile 2, I’ve been out on the Ojai Trail every Sunday. I started with an easy 5-miler, and now I’m up to 8 miles, and I know I'm improving because I'm cursing a lot less.

To help pass the time, Bill let me borrow his iPod, but the problem with that is it’s only got about an hour’s worth of music loaded onto it. And it takes me nearly 2.5 hours to go 8 miles. So after I heard The Boss’s Born to Run for the third time, I was ready to stomp all over the iPod. Listen Bruce, maybe you were born to run, but this girl was born to nap.

I need new music! What are you listening to these days? What songs do you suggest I listen to during my training walks?

6 Comments:

Blogger Cam said...

I would go to the iTunes music store and browse through the "iTunes Essentials"; They have many collections put together, these are some that may be good for what your looking for: Morning Motivators, Afternoon Energizers, Running Through the 70's, Running Through the 90's, Running Through the Hits, and a bunch of others.

12/12/2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger Bret Bradigan said...

Funny you ask ...

I was going to post on the same subject later this week. J.B. White introduced me to E-Music, which features mostly independent label music at much less than iTunes - as low as 25 cents per song.

A few artists who I have enjoyed on my iPod walks lately are Califone's "Roots & Crowns," the Decembrists "The Crane Wife," and Calexico's 'The Garden Ruin." Also, if you like Arcade Fire, and who doesn't, you will probably like Islands.

Other new music that rocks is Devendra Banhart and Joanna Newsom, though both are acquired tastes. A long contemplative walk is the perfect opportunity to acquaint yourself with new and unfamiliar music, I have found.

The iPod has changed my listening habits dramatically. I now particularly like albums that have a narrative arc, so The Decembrists have really intrigued me. They put power pop to old folk tales, similar to what British musicologist and classical composer Percy Grainger used to do in the early 1900s.

Anyway, hope that helps, and best of luck with your event.

12/12/2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger Matt Haag said...

Dear Cult Jam-
You need to get out of the 80's and get some new music. Pump up the jams..... haaaaaaa.
This makes me miss the old "Club MTV" days. ha

Word,
Tone Loc

12/12/2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger Lisa Snider said...

cam, wow, brilliant, you rock!

bret, never heard of any of this! I just sampled several at iTunes. I'm intrigued!

matt, despite my being a bona fide 80's girl, my theme song is still Barracuda (that's pre-80's), but I'll admit I could stand to expand my musical horizons!

Thank you all - my next walk will no doubt be much more pleasant!

12/12/2006 5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy just told me to check-out Rolling Stone's top 500:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs/page/1

12/14/2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger Matt Haag said...

Lisa-
We should get Jeremy to blog about some music & film stuff.

12/14/2006 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home