Thursday, December 07, 2006

Youtube Watch Part Two

If you like roots music and America, there is no better combination than the Carter family.

Visit this youtube link:

This is from a family reunion with Maybelle and Sara.

As roots fan and blogger Will Divide wrote: "Whenever I feel bad about America, I think of the Carter family."

Check out the casual, cool guitar playing of Maybelle in this clip. Notice how she picks out the melody on the bass strings and the rhythm on the treble strings. This method was called "the Carter Scratch." It's fingerpicking good.

This song was originally written as a musical satire about the McKinley assassination and the crowds that gathered around the train carrying his body from Buffalo to Washington, D.C. The Carters turned it into a song about eternal departures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the HTML, just click here.

12/07/2006 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Sandra,
from Singapore,
and I'm 15 y.o

Hi, All
I've studied English sinse Winter .
It's so hard Language!
I would like like to meet boys and girls and practisice My English with them.

Thank You

12/07/2006 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home