Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Love Songs for V-Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Last night, my husband rhetorically asked, "What are you getting me for Valentine's Day?" I answered with, "I dunno, what do I usually get you?" And he didn't miss a beat, "Same thing I always get you, nothing!" We just don't do Valentine's Day I'm afraid. I think it's more of a Hallmark Holiday than anything really. But the sentiment is not completely lost; he wished me a Happy Valentine's Day this morning before heading off to work.

The New York Daily News has posted the Top 100 Most Romantic Love Songs of all time. Unfortunately, our favorite song, The Smith's, "A Light That Never Goes Out," didn't make the cut. What could be more romantic than these lyrics: "And if a double-decker bus/crashes in to us/to die by your side/is such a heavenly way to die./And if a ten-ton truck/kills the both of us/to die by your side/well, the pleasure, the privilege, is mine." Romantic, funny and sad all at once.

Here are the top 10:

1. "My Girl" - The Temptations
2. "I'll Be There" - The Jackson 5
3. "Wonderful Tonight" - Eric Clapton
4. "I Just Called to Say I Love You" - Stevie Wonder
5. "You Are So Beautiful" - Billy Preston/Joe Cocker
6. "In My Life" - The Beatles
7. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" - Roberta Flack
8. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" - Elvis Presley
9. "Michelle" - The Beatles
10. "I Can't Stop Loving You" - Ray Charles

What's your favorite love song? What are you doing for V-day? Do you have a V-Day wish for anyone?

P.S. Bill: Will you be mine?

1 Comments:

Blogger OVN administrator said...

With the exception of "In My Life," I think most of the Top 10 love songs should not be there. While there are scores of great love songs, where's "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again" by Dionne Warwick? Or Lee Greenwood's "I Don't Mind the Thorns If You're the Rose?" More recently, Phil Vassar's "The Last Day of My Life," available for listeneing free at http://www.philvasser.com is destined to be a classic.

2/14/2007 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home