Monday, December 25, 2006

Happy Festivus!

Technically, I'm 2 days late, but that's the beauty of Festivus; you can celebrate it whenever you want.

Festivus was popularized by Seinfeld nearly a decade ago, but it's been around much longer than that. According to Wikipedia, the episode surrounding the Costanza family celebration was inspired by Dan O'Keefe, who claims to have invented the holiday in 1966.

The non-denominational holiday calls for several traditions, even though it's intent is to scoff at tradition. First is the Festivus Pole, which must not be decorated and serves as the only adornment to mark the holiday. There is a company in Milwaukee selling the poles. Last year they sold 250. This year they expect to ship over 600. I'm not kidding.

The Festivus meal concludes with the Airing of Grievances. Family members, one at a time, are invited to share with the others all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year. When I told my friend about this, touting the many benefits of being the airer, she said, "What's so great about that? I do that all year long!"

And no Festivus can end until the head of the household is pinned in a wrestling match. Yes, the Feats of Strength is the most celebrated of all Festivus rituals. My husband loves this, but sadly his attempts to pin me have yet to succeed.

Let's not forget the greatest part of Festivus, the Festivus Miracle. My research is a little fuzzy on this, but I think you're allowed to declare a Festivus Miracle for pretty much anything that surprises you or is unusual. This year, when grass finally sprouted on my lawn (my husband is in the irrigation business), I shouted, "Good gawd, it's a Festivus Miracle!"

How do you celebrate Festivus?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bret Bradigan said...

Festivus, for the rest of us.

12/26/2006 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home